Baby skin care
In the early period of life, and in neonates and infants in particular, the child’s skin differs significantly from the adult’s skin. It is considerably thinner and more delicate, is more “loosely” packed with cells and is less flexible. It loses water bound in the deeper layers more rapidly, and therefore it is more susceptible to dryness. The natural epidermal lipid layer of a young child is not tight enough, so it can be permeated more easily by harmful exogenous factors – bacteria, contaminants, chemical substances, temperature, sun radiation. This can lead to the development of various skin changes: disruptions of the epidermis, exfoliation, erythema, irritation or allergy. The skin becomes susceptible to disorders of allergic etiology: atopic dermatitis, rash, contact allergy. Each irritation of the skin can impair its protective function and therefore appropriate skin care is essential for the health and well being of the little one. The development of the skin sufficient to play the role of natural protective barrier is completed around 3 years of age. Therefore, before the child’s skin is ready to play this role, it needs assistance and appropriate protection. It should be kept in mind, that each child, even perfectly healthy, has delicate skin which requires continuous care. The selection of appropriate products for its hygiene and protection is very important.
Preparations designed for infants and children should primarily ensure:
- appropriate lipid and moisture level,
- restoration and stabilization of the lipid layer,
- reduction of transepidermal water loss (TEWL),
- alleviation of irritations.
However, at the same time, these products should contain gentle and highest quality washing agents, which do not cause allergies and irritations. On the other hand, these products should contain no dyes or fragrances.
Paediatricians and dermatologists particularly recommend preparations containing emollients for everyday and regular skin care in case of babies and infants, and especially skin with a tendency towards drying, irritations and atopic lesions.
emollient preparations ensure proper and effective skin protection in case of children and infants. These products offer:
- care and hygiene during bath – allerco® bath lotion, allerco® washing bar, allerco® washing gel,
- hair and scalp care – allerco® moisturising shampoo,
- skin care during the bath as well as during the whole day – allerco® emollient oily cream, allerco® emollient moisturising cream, allerco® body balm,
- care and protection of the skin in the diaper area – allerco® nappy rash cream.
preparations contain no fragrances or dyes. They have been tested dermatologically on the skin of people with the positive atopic and allergic history. Their effectiveness has been confirmed in application studies. Conducted studies confirmed that allerco®
preparations meet the requirements anticipated for care products for babies and infants.
Prophylaxis and soothing inflammatory skin conditions in diaper area
Inflammatory skin conditions in diaper area stand as one of the most common skin problems affecting infants and occurring on the skin as a result of irritation. This particular condition can be triggered by various irritating factors, which break the protective layer of the skin. The above mentioned factors include the direct contact of urine and faeces with the skin, leading to increased skin temperature, pH and moisture. Humid environment results in skin maceration and weakens the protective function of the skin. Such weakened epidermis is susceptible to abrasions caused by the diaper. The environment under the diaper also supports the development of various microorganisms. All these factors contribute to the occurrence of irritations and as a consequence lead to diaper rash.
Inflammatory skin conditions in diaper area are characterised by more or less visible skin reddening (erythema) and scaling of baby’s bottom, abdomen and genital organs. The exacerbation of lesions may cause swelling and oozing blisters, as well as erosions on the skin surface. These lesions are associated with burning sensation and pain. The baby feels uncomfortable, becomes irritable and whiny. Lack of proper hygienic and caring proceedings concerning the skin in diaper area may lead to intensification of lesions and the occurrence of bacterial and/or fungal superinfections. Oozing erosions and purulent crust (bacterial superinfection) and/or lumps and pustules filled with white fluid (fungal superinfections).
Any intensified and extensive erythematous lesions on the bottom should be immediately consulted with a paediatrician.
Factors contributing to the occurrence of diaper rash
There are certain factors that trigger the occurrence of skin inflammations in diaper area, including:
- antibiotic therapy, which alters the microflora within the gastrointestinal tract;
- teething and infections, which weaken the immune functions of the organism;
- contact and atopic dermatitis, as they weaken the protective layer of the skin, making it more susceptible to the activity of irritating substances;
- modifications in child’s diet, leading to changes in the content and type of bacterial microflora in the gastrointestinal tract;
- improper hygiene of diaper area (using inappropriate caring products, inaccurate washing, rare diaper change);
- high temperatures, which contribute to inflammations and irritations.
Preventing diaper rash
In order to protect the baby against skin inflammation conditions in diaper area and all issues related with this problem, it is crucial to implement a simple and effective prophylaxis within the scope of diaper change and hygiene of diaper area. This includes:
- changing the diaper more frequently
- thorough cleaning and drying the of skin within the diaper area – after each diaper change it is essential to thoroughly clean the child’s skin, eliminate urine and faeces with the help of delicate washing agents (f. ex. allerco® emollient preparations), which do not break the natural protective layer of the skin. It is not recommended to use cosmetic products not anticipated for children and those containing comedogenic (pore clogging) agents.
- use a proper cream reducing the severity of diaper rash during every diaper change – apply a small amount of the cream (f. ex. allerco®) with circular moves on clean and thoroughly dried skin, in areas where the skin touches the diaper. Avoid rubbing the cream and massage it gently until obtaining a thin protective layer. It is enough to apply one layer of the preparation. A greater amount of the cream shall not increase its effectiveness.
- air out the skin in the diaper area – before putting on a clean diaper, after washing and drying the skin, it is crucial to air out the bottom for a while.
How to choose a proper protective cream?
In case of irritated and inflamed bottom, it is essential to apply an effective protective preparation preventing diaper rash. Such product should contain properly selected, highest quality components, which do not cause any irritations or allergies. The composition of the product should be free of fragrances and dyes, as these agents are frequently responsible for hypersensitivity of small child’s skin.
The perfectly selected diaper rash cream:
- protects child’s skin against irritating factors, namely urine and faeces,
- soothes irritations and inflammations,
- regulates bacterial microflora of the skin,
- hydrates and lubricates the skin intensely,
- strengthens protective layer of the skin, restoring its balance and lost comfort.
Innovative allerco® diaper rash cream
ensures this type of multi-level care for delicate and sensitive skin under the diaper. This is the only product that combines the activity of Regen7 molecule
– a physiological active substance of vitamin origin, protecting against the occurrence of inflammations and irritations with:
- emollients (shea butter, jojoba oil), which soften, hydrate, as well as strengthen and protect the hydrolipidic film;
- zinc oxide, which dries and soothes the skin;
- biolin, a natural prebiotic that maintains proper balance of bacterial skin flora and protects it against the development of undesired microorganisms;
- vitamin E and glycerine, which improve skin flexibility and improve its ability to maintain its proper hydration.
protective cream is recommended for everyday use from the 1st
day of life. It soothes and alleviates. This cream supports and accelerates the regeneration of the epidermis, restoring the lost comfort and natural balance of the skin. The cream creates a protective layer on the skin, enabling the skin to breathe, and it efficiently protects the skin against irritating factors. allerco®
cream contains no fragrances and dyes. This product has been tested dermatologically on the skin of people with the positive atopic and allergic history. It is very well tolerated. Its effectiveness has been confirmed in application studies, also on the skin of small children.